skip to main content

ELL/Migrant Information

To qualify for the Migrant Education Program, a child (age 3 - 21) must have moved within the last 36 months to accompany or join a parent, spouse or guardian who is seeking temporary or seasonal work in agriculture or fishing related activities. Services funded under Migrant Education Part C fall into two areas: instructional and supportive/advocacy. The program services begin with recruitment and identification of the Migrant student. Instructional and support services are then planned to meet the identified needs of the students at each school. Instructional services to Migrant students are provided through extended day and summer activities and meet the needs not addressed by services available from other programs, Migrant services help students overcome the educational disruption caused by frequent moves and prepare Migrant students to meet the same challenging standards expected of all students.

Letty Andrews - Geneva County Migrant Liaison

Email Address:


Migrant/Immigrant Student Enrollment Information click here


What is WIDA?

  • WIDA provides test that are used for our EL students
  • When students enter our school system the EL teacher is contacted, and the WAPT test is given to see if they qualify for EL services.
  • All students have to be tested even if they speak fluent English. If any language is listed on their home language survey in any area they must be tested.
  • The test is based on speaking, reading, writing, and listening of the English Language.
  • WIDA also provides a yearly test that is for students in the program (ACCESS). It is given in the spring to measure students learning progress. The test is given by the EL teacher. Results are usually available the following year.
  • The ACCESS test like the WAPT is also based on reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
  • It is a more extensive test than the WAPT
  • The test results are used for planning instruction for the student.
  • WIDA also provides standards that are used along with State Standards. They both go hand in hand.
  • Like SIOP the WIDA standards benefit our at risk students.Understanding Second Language Terminology
    Here are some of the essential terms used to talk about our students or programs. All of these terms are used to describe students who are learning to understand, speak, read and write in English.

ESL means English as a Second Language.

This generally refers to programs, not students. ESL refers to students who are studying English in an English speaking country are in an ESL program. For example, students who are learning English in the United States are in ESL programs. 
EFL English as a Foreign Language This terms refers to students learning English in another country. For example, Chinese students who are studying English in China are EFL students.
ESOL means English to Speakers of Other Languages. This term is used to describe programs in different parts of the U.S. - primarily in the South.
ELL(s) English language learner(s) refers to people who are learning English but are not yet considered proficient.
ENL English is a New Language This term is used by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.
LEP refers to the current description of students abilities--that they currently have limited English proficiency. This is the term used to describe ELLs by laws and government documents. Many consider it a pejorative term.
Bilingual refers to the fact that students speak more than one language. All of our ESL students are bilingual. It can also refer to a program where students learn content information in their native language.
Terms for understanding second language acquisition

Culture Shock is a normal stage in the acculturation process that all newcomers go through. Being in a strange place and losing the power to communicate can disrupt a persons world view, self-identity, and systems of thinking, acting and feeling.

Students feel frustrated, angry, hostile, sad, lonely and homesick.
Students may develop physical ailments such as stomach aches and headaches. They are often devastated by the emotional upheaval caused by moving to a new culture. They may exhibit behavior such as depression or sleeplessness. They may become overly aggressive or withdrawn.
The Silent Period is a varying period of time during which a newcomer is unwilling to speak in the second language. Nearly all students go through a silent period. This stage could last for as long as one year. English language learners should not be forced to speak until they are ready to do so.

Comprehensible input means that the spoken or written message is delivered at the learner's level of comprehension. The concepts being taught should not be simplified, but the language used to present the concepts must be made comprehensible. Basic concepts should be presented in a variety of ways.

Affective filter is a "wall" a learner puts up if his/her anxiety level is high. The lower the anxiety level, the lower the filter. ELLs must have a low affective filter in order to learn English. The more comfortable students are in their school environment, the more ready they will be to learn.

BICS are Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills. These are the language skills needed for everyday personal and social communication. Second language learners must have BICS in order to interact on the playground and in the classroom. It usually takes students from 1-3 years to completely develop this social language. BICS are not necessarily related to academic success.

CALP is Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency is the language associated with native language literacy and cognitive development. These are the language skills needed to undertake academic tasks in the mainstream classroom. It includes content-specific vocabulary. It may take students from 5 to 7 years to develop CALP skills. CALP developed in the first language contribute to the development of CALP in the second language.